The Halberg Foundation aims to enhance the lives of physically disabled New Zealanders by enabling them to participate in sports and recreational activities. Mitchell Rhodes is the advisor for the Waitaha, Tai Poutini & Te Tau Ihu (Canterbury, West Coast & Tasman) area, and the go-to point of contact to organise either support or joining an accessible sport.
- Wheelchair Basketball
- Fencing/Wheelchair Fencing
- Powerchair football
- Wheelchair Rugby
- Snow Sports
- Table Tennis
- Wheelchair Tennis
- Volleyball (Sitting)
Halberg Active also run the following programmes:
- Halberg Inclusion Training:
- courses on adapting sports to include physically disabled New Zealanders. The aim of Halberg Inclusion Training is to increase the knowledge and skills of teachers and sports deliverers to give them the confidence and resources to deliver quality sporting opportunities to physically disabled people.
- Halberg Activity Fund:
- funding provided to enable physically disabled young people, aged 5-21, to participate in sport and recreation by reducing financial barriers. Funding can be used for equipment, lessons and/or coaching or to attend a camp.
- Halberg Games:
- Three-day national sports festival open to young people aged 8-21 with a physical or visual impairment. The Games provide participants with the opportunity to compete against other young people with similar impairments in a range of sports.
- Programmes and Events:
- Halberg collaborates with established sports organisations and clubs on disability sports events and programmes in clubs, schools and communities.
Halberg also supports the phone application called 'Accessibel', which helps people to understand the accessibility of walkways, waterways and cycleways in Aotearoa; by providing detailed information, images and maps on these spaces and terrains.
They also have a registry of Adapted Water Sports equipment, and beaches that provide beach mats. Currently, these are only available in Nelson and Christchurch.
Adapted Water Sports equipment :
Located at CCS Disability Action Nelson.
65 Trafalgar Street, The Wood, Nelson.
Located at North Beach Surf Club
80 Marine Parade, North New Brighton.
Contact: NorthBeach Accessibility email@example.com
- Beach Chairs x2 Adult x1 Youth
Located at Pioneer Sport and Recreation Centre.
75 Lyttelton Street, Somerfield, Christchurch.
Nelson - Located at Tahunanui Beach. 2/623 Rocks Road, Moana, Nelson. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Christchurch - Located at North Beach Surf Club.
80 Marine Parade, North New Brighton. Contact: NorthBeach Accessibility email@example.com