Their Vision | Tō mātou matawhānui
Auckland – the world’s most active city
Tāmaki Makaurau – te tāone ngangahau rawa o te ao
Their Purpose | Tō mātou take matua
Aktive provides leadership to the Auckland region that encourages, enables and inspires Aucklanders to lead more active lives through play, sport and active recreation.
As both Sport NZ’s and Auckland Council’s strategic partner in Auckland, this means investing in organisations and projects that will get more people active, with focuses on tamariki, rangatahi, and identified communities.
Their Strategic Priorities
As the Auckland region’s system lead for play, physical education, active recreation and sport, Aktive’s role involves:
- Leading: Setting clear direction, challenging the status quo and driving positive change for the people and whānau of Auckland
- Bringing strategy to life: Setting regional priorities and plans; incubating initiatives with participants and partners; funding and empowering others to deliver community activities
- Advocating: Championing the sport, active recreation, play and physical activity rights of Aucklanders
- Catalysing Best Practice: Creating co-operation and alignment across the sector; empowering other organisations by providing advice, insights and resources so that they can lead their own transformation and change.
Aktive works with, and through a number of national, regional and local partners to fund and deliver community sport in Auckland. They are a strategic partner of Sport NZ and Auckland Council and a conduit for their funding, along with Foundation North, NZCT and The Lion Foundation.
As detailed in their strategic plan, Aktive’s mahi prioritises tamariki (5 to 11 years) and rangatahi (12 to 18 years) and takes an equity focus with investment so as to:
- Influence young people’s thinking and behaviour
- Positively impact adult influencers’ thinking and behaviour
- Strengthen Tāmaki Makaurau’s play, sport, active recreation and physical education systems
- Increase their reach into underactive ethnicities, low socio-economic communities and women and girls.
Helping bring this to life are their system build partners, CLM Community Sport, College Sport Auckland, Harbour Sport, Sport Auckland and Sport Waitākere.
Their Vision For Co - Creating A World - Class Sport System In Auckland
Aktive's operational strategy to support this sees a targeted, scalable community sport system for Tāmaki Makaurau.
Aktive is responsible for setting the regional strategy for sport and active recreation for Auckland, sport systems and initiatives, advocacy, investment and shared services.
Aktive's System Build partners focus on building capabilities in their respective communities:
- CLM Community Sport is responsible for Counties Manukau (excluding Howick – Pakuranga)
- Harbour Sport is responsible for North Harbour
- Sport Auckland covers central Auckland and the Howick community
- Sport Waitākere operates in West Auckland
Key areas of focus:
- Leadership and Advocacy
- Korikori – schools and kura
- Coach Development, including Good Sports®
- Sector Support
- Women and Girls
- Spaces and Places
Target groups include tamariki, rangatahi, low participation communities, girls 10 to 18 years, Indian, Maori, Chinese and Samoan ethnicities.
With System Build partners, they are here to support, provide insight, knowledge and expertise around play, physical education, active recreation & sport and challenge inactivity in Auckland.